Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Stephenville emerged from humble beginnings. Founded in 1926 by Dr. J.C. Terrell, Sr. and his wife Ellen, the hospital's first unit began in a section of the Stephenville Langdon Hotel. In one year, the hospital relocated to its current address on Belknap Street.
Through various renovation projects over the past 60 years, Texas Health Stephenville has evolved to become a full service community hospital and regional referral center, capable of handling most medical services. Tertiary care procedures are transferred to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth.
Here are a few notable moments in the history of Texas Health Stephenville:
- Dr. J.C. Terrell Sr. and his wife, Ellen, came to Stephenville and began operations in the Langdon Hotel.
- The first and second units of Stephenville Hospital (today Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Stephenville) were built, each with 11 beds. This was the first hospital in Erath County.
- Dr. Vance Terrell, Dr. J.C. Terrell's brother, joined Stephenville Hospital.
- A third wing doubled the hospital's capacity.
- All local physicians delivered babies here—more babies were born in Erath County in the 1930s than in some periods since.
- Twenty-five beds were added, bringing capacity to 60.
- A third partner, Dr. Bruce S. Terrell, joined the hospital's medical staff and performed OB/GYN services.
- Dr. J.C. Terrell sponsored legislation for the Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Law.
- A fourth partner, Dr. Nathan Cedars, joined the hospital's medical staff.
- The first LVN class was organized and taught.
- Twenty beds were added.
- A two-story facility was built for nearly $1 million, bringing capacity to 98 beds.
- Space for administration, X-ray, laboratory and pharmacy was constructed to support the 98-bed hospital where the old building stood.
- Harris Methodist Health System bought Stephenville Hospital.
- The current building was completed.
- Harris Methodist Health System and Presbyterian Healthcare System merged to form Texas Health Resources.
- The surgery addition and Women's Services renovations were completed.
- Lab expansion, Medical/Surgical update and second elevator additions were completed.
- Radiology expansion.
- Name changed to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Stephenville.