Excellence in Stroke Care In January 2010, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas received Primary Stroke Center Certification from The Joint Commission for demonstrating a steadfast commitment to patient care.
The Joint Commission’s Certificate of Distinction for Primary Stroke Centers recognizes facilities that go above and beyond to foster better outcomes for stroke patients.
“We are thrilled to have received The Joint Commission’s Primary Stroke Center Certification,” says Karen Sacks, R.N., N.P., stroke coordinator at Texas Health Dallas. “This achievement signifies that the services provided at Texas Health Dallas and the practices we have integrated into care delivery have the potential to achieve long-term success in improving patient outcomes.”
In order to receive Primary Stroke Center Certification, facilities must comply with a set of strict criteria developed in collaboration with the American Stroke Association and based on the Brain Attack Coalition’s guidelines for stroke care.
Certified primary stroke centers must:
• have policies and protocols in place that provide evidence-based care for stroke patients, including acute treatment, prevention of complications and secondary prevention
• provide education to patients and families regarding risk factors and signs and symptoms of stroke
• provide ongoing data analysis to monitor compliance with evidence-based care and track patient outcomes
• support patient self-management activities
• tailor treatment and intervention to individual needs
• provide ongoing education and training for staff that care for stroke patients
• provide ongoing community education regarding risk factors and signs and symptoms of stroke
“Our main priority is to provide patients with the latest evidence-based treatments with the goal of improving outcomes for stroke survivors. We also strive to put a comprehensive plan in place for prevention of future strokes. This includes adhering to The Joint Commission’s stroke center criteria,” says Connie Chen, M.D., medical director of the stroke program and neurologist on the medical staff at Texas Health Dallas. “The fact that we’ve achieved this certification is a true testament to our ability to provide all of the critical elements necessary for stroke care.”
For more information about the stroke program at Texas Health Dallas, visit TexasHealth.org/Dallas. (Summer 2010)