Texas Health Allen was the first hospital in Texas designated as a Baby-Friendly Hospital by the World Health Organization, recognizing its comprehensive approach to supporting breastfeeding of newborns.
Congratulations on your decision to breastfeed! At Texas Health Allen, you and your baby have access to health professionals for guidance and breastfeeding support. Breastfeeding can protect your baby and help ensure a healthy start.
Board certified lactation consultants are available to help new moms develop the skills needed for successful breastfeeding. They work with you to develop a plan that meets your breastfeeding goals before, during and after delivery.
Lactation consultants assist with ongoing questions throughout the breastfeeding experience, including:
- Latching-on difficulties
- Refusal to nurse
- Multiple births
- Preventing and managing sore nipples
- Preventing and managing engorgement
- Milk supply concerns
- Slow weight gain or weight loss
- Mastitis/breast abscess
- Anatomical variations (mother and baby)
- Sucking problems
- Induced lactation (i.e., adoption)
- Drugs and medications while breastfeeding
- Returning to work
For more information or to schedule a breastfeeding consultation, call 972-747-6377.
Accessories and supplies are available at the Gift and Floral Shoppe at Texas Health Allen. Located in the Medical Office Building I near the main lobby, the shoppe offers:
- Breast pumps for rental and purchase
- Breast pump replacement parts and accessories
- Breast care products, such as nursing pads and nipple shields
- Breastfeeding pillows and slings
- Breastfeeding bras
- Breastfeeding books
- Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Call 972-747-6072 for pricing and more information.
Breastfeeding Education Class
For you and your partner or support person, this one-session class covers:
- Getting started
- How to make plenty of milk
- Recognizing when your baby is getting milk
- A father’s role in the breastfeeding family
- Strategies for working moms
- Nursing Mother’s Companion, by Kathleen Huggins
- Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, by La Leche League
- Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, by Jack Newman