Prevention of Cancer
You can take steps today to lower your risk of cancer. What you eat and drink, how you live and where you work all can play a role in cancer prevention. Consider these ways to decrease your risk:
- Do not use tobacco products
- Avoid the sun's harmful rays
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all
- Eat a variety of healthful foods, with an emphasis on plant sources
- Adopt a physically active lifestyle
- Maintain a healthful weight throughout life
- Avoid certain chemicals and radiation that can cause cancer
For more information on the prevention of cancer, follow this link to the American Cancer Society's website.
Early detection often is the key to successful treatment of some cancers. Protect your health by learning how to detect cancer in its earliest stages.
The American Cancer Society believes that early detection examinations and tests can help save lives and reduce suffering from cancers of the breast, colon, rectum, cervix, prostate, testis, oral cavity (mouth) and skin. Some of these cancers can be found early by self examinations, physical examinations by a health professional, and by X-ray or laboratory tests.
To learn more about the specific cancer detection guidelines of the American Cancer Society, follow this link to their website.
Source: American Cancer Society