Patients are encouraged to attend an informative preoperative class where they can learn what to expect before, during and after their procedure. They'll receive an in-depth guidebook, have their questions answered and meet others who will be undergoing joint replacement.
Class topics include:
- Preparing for surgery
- The role of the coach
- How to prepare ahead of time for discharge
- Specialized equipment needed after surgery
- Daily hospital routine after surgery
- Pain management techniques
- The role of physical therapy in the recovery process
- Post-hospital care needs
- Question and answer session
Patients are encouraged to identify a family member to serve as a coach throughout their preoperative and rehabilitation experience. Coaches can help patients recover quickly and comfortably from their surgery. Throughout the process, coaches are taught how to care for the patient once the patient returns home. Coaches are encouraged to attend the preoperative camp.
Classes are held the second Thursday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon and the fourth Thursday of each month from 3 to 5 p.m. at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Cleburne.