In order to comply with CMS and TJC standards for seclusion and restraint of patients, the Texas Health Dallas non-behavioral restraint policy has been updated.
Executive Summary: Restraint Policy Changes
Policy revisions made to meet regulatory requirements
- Fall risk removed as a justification for restraints, verbiage changed to physical harm risk (Section 4.1)
- Addresses the use of side rails as a restraint and exceptions (Section 4.3)
- Mitts added as an example of a restraint for clarification at request of Restraint Committee (Section 4.3)
- Order renewal period is 24 hours, not a calendar day (Section 4.5)
- Changes made to reporting a death in restraints, wrists not required reportable death (Section 5.2)
Click here to read the policy in its entirety. The educator group and restraint council are working on a plan to communicate the updated policy. Questions or concerns? Call Jen Rainer at 214-345-4366.