Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital Offers Safety Tips Ahead of Bike Rodeo|
STEPHENVILLE, Texas – Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital and the Stephenville Fire Department will team up from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on July 12 to host a bicycle rodeo at the city park in Stephenville.
HMEC is committed to educating children in the sixth grade or younger about bike safety tips by using courses to educate children about proper bike etiquette and safety. Some tips that will be covered include:
- Obey traffic signs and signals. Bicycles must follow the rules of the road like other vehicles.
- Never ride against traffic. Motorists aren't looking for bicyclists riding on the wrong side of the road. State law and common sense require that bicyclists adhere to traffic rules similar to those of vehicles.
- Scan the road behind you. Learn to look back over your shoulder without losing your balance or swerving. Some riders use rear-view mirrors.
- Keep both hands ready to brake. You may not stop in time if you brake one-handed. Allow extra distance for stopping in the rain, since breaks are less efficient when wet.
- Wear a helmet and never ride with headphones. Always wear a helmet. Never wear headphones while riding a bike.
The bicycle safety tips are provided by the Washington State Department of Transportation. A full list of tips can be found at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/bike/Safety_Tips.htm.
All children who bring their bikes, tricycles and helmets and test the courses in the rodeo will receive a certificate of participation. Organizers will check the bicycles for safety and ensure that helmets are being worn properly.
“HMEC is committed to ensuring that all children have a safe and enjoyable time riding their bicycles, especially during the summer months,” said Laura Ainsworth, trauma coordinator at HMEC. “Teaching children the proper safety and road rules is crucial to lessening the risk of preventable injuries, particularly as school starts again and children are bicycling during higher traffic times.”
Snacks and water for the children will be provided by Air Evac Lifeteam of Mineral Wells.
About Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital
Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital is a 98-bed community hospital that provides health care for residents in Erath and the surrounding counties. As one of 13 hospitals in the Texas Health Resources system, Harris Methodist Erath County Hospital offers the compassion, respect, and commitment nurtured by one of the largest faith-based nonprofit hospital systems in the United States.
About Texas Health Resources
Texas Health Resources is one of the largest faith-based, nonprofit health care delivery systems in the United States and the largest in North Texas in terms of patients served. The THR system includes 13 affiliated hospitals and a medical research organization, and THR is a corporate member or partner in six additional hospitals and surgery centers. THR’s family of hospitals includes Harris Methodist Hospitals, Arlington Memorial Hospital and Presbyterian Healthcare System. For more information about Texas Health Resources, visit www.texashealth.org.