The human experience of living has several points of transition or times of drastic change. Expectations, cultural rites and traditions that reflect family values and priorities mark each milestone. How we go through these changes will constantly be challenged during our lifetime.
What is Palliative Care?
Palliative care (pronounced pal-lee-uh-tiv) specializes in the relief of the pain and other distressing symptoms associated with serious life altering illnesses. The goal is to prevent and relieve suffering and to ensure the best possible quality of life for patients and their families. It is appropriate at any stage of an illness for patients of any age and can be provided at the same time as curative treatment.
Who Can Benefit From Palliative Care Services?
Patients and families who are currently facing serious life altering disease or illness that affect quality of life.
Who Are The Palliative Care Team Members?
The interdisciplinary team is composed of staff and physicians on the medical staff who are specially trained in palliative care. Staff includes:
- Pastoral care
- Social workers and case managers
This team may also include:
- Support therapy providers
What Services Are Provided?
Services provided by palliative care will:
- Focus on patient and family needs and goals of care
- Optimize comfort with safe and effective management of complex and changing symptoms
- Provide patient and family support for making difficult decisions
- Assist patient transitions to an appropriate level of care
- Comfort the patient and family facing grief and loss
- Support best quality of life, and if not life, a peaceful dignified death
|Click image to see larger version of map.
How Do I Find Out More Information or Request Services?
Patients, family members or those providing care to patients (physicians on the medical staff, nurses, social workers, chaplains, etc.) may request an adult palliative care team consult at 817-250-4929.
To request information about WeeCare Palliative Team, call 817-250-7815. Referrals for medical management of pain or other symptoms will require an order from the patient’s physician.
Adult Palliative Care Services
Harris Tower, Second Floor
Neonatal WeeCare Palliative Team
Jones Tower, First Floor