Women’s Heart Health Laboratory
Our laboratory specifically seeks to understand:
- Why young women feel faint more than young men
- How blood pressure is regulated during pregnancy
- Blood pressure control and hypertension differences in relation to sex and age
- Sex differences in antihypertensive treatment
- Obesity and Sleep Apnea in Pregnancy
- Chronic Lower Leg Heating for the Treatment of Hypertension in Older Women
- Mechanisms of Exercise Intolerance in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction (HFpEF): Autonomic Circulatory Control
- Influence of Early Menopause on Sympathetic Activation and Cardiovascular Function in Older Women
Current Research Opportunities
View our current research opportunities for:
Most recent articles. There are nearly a dozen.
Early onset neurocirculatory responseYoo JK, Badrov MB, Parker RS, Anderson EH, Wiblin JL, North CS, Suris A, and Fu Q. Early onset neurocirculatory response to static handgrip is associated with greater blood pressure variability in women with post-traumatic stress disorder. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology 318 (1): H49-58, 2020.
Sex-differences in the sympathetic neural recruitmentBadrov MB, Okada Y, Yoo JK, Vongpatanasin W, Shoemaker JK, Levine BD, and Fu Q. Sex-differences in the sympathetic neural recruitment and hemodynamic response to graded head-up tilt in elderly hypertensives. Hypertension 75 (2): 458-467, 2020.
Impact of prolonged spaceflight on orthostatic toleranceFu Q, Shibata S, Hastings JL, Platts SH, Hamilton DM, Bungo MW, Stenger MB, Ribeiro C, and Levine BD. Impact of prolonged spaceflight on orthostatic tolerance during ambulation and blood pressure profiles in astronauts. Circulation 140: 729-738, 2019.
Role of Corin in Blood Pressure
Cerebral blood flow regulation and cognitive function in women
Time course of changes in maternal left ventricular functionHieda M, Yoo JK, Sun DD, Okada Y, Parker RS, Roberts-Reeves MA, Adams-Huet B, Nelson DB, Levine BD, and Fu Q. Time course of changes in maternal left ventricular function during subsequent pregnancy in women with a history of gestational hypertensive disorders. American Journal of PhysiologyRegulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 315: R587-94, 2018.
Menstrual cycle phase
Heart rate recovery after maximal exercise
Sympathetic activation during early pregnancy
Relationship between sympathetic baroreflex sensitivity and arterial stiffness
Cardiac origins of the Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome
Open AllClose All