ARLINGTON, Texas — Smart devices that put the consumer experience in the palm of our hands are no longer a luxury, but rather an expectation. Whether you're adjusting the room temperature using an app, streaming movies with the click of a button, or learning a new skill simply by watching an educational video, these same on-demand expectations can now be met when consumers visit Texas Health hospitals.
The SONIFI® Health interactive television system already being used at eight hospitals was recently upgraded and will expand system wide by the end of 2019.
"We want patients, their families, and their friends to know that when they're in our hospitals, the care we provide is customized and personalized to meet their needs," said Clint Abernathy, president of Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Alliance.
Whether you're the Jetsons or the Jones, these high-tech innovations will streamline the patient experience and enable more focused bedside care.
"Technology is helping transform health care and giving patients new ways to engage," said Rudy Loremo, ITS special projects at Texas Health Alliance. "Texas Health is committed to being on the forefront of that transformation."
Committees from a wide array of specialties and backgrounds throughout the system collaborated to see these enhancements come to life.
"Representatives from nursing, patient education, language services, patient and family experience, information technology, finance and many more, provided input to create a system that meets consumers' needs," Loremo added.
SONIFI® currently allows patients and their visitors to:
- Watch movies on demand
- View assigned educational materials
- Receive alerts when new materials are available
- Access a medication education library and email information to themselves
- Get answers to frequently asked questions, such as visiting hours, Wi-Fi access and hospital amenities
Recent system updates include:
- A personalized "My Dashboard" that displays a combination of clinical, patient experience and entertainment options.
- Action indicators that visually notify patients of pending tasks such as assigned Emmi videos
- A "What My TV Can Do" channel that explains TV features
- A uniform guide to help patients and their visitors identify hospital employees
- An interactive checklist for leaving the hospital that will allow patients to check off completed items during their stay
- An information channel that displays hospital updates including hand hygiene, hospital dining options, and operating hours
SONIFI® is available at the following hospitals now:
- Texas Health Alliance
- Texas Health Arlington
- Texas Health Clearfork
- Texas Health Dallas
- Texas Health Fort Worth
- Texas Health Heart & Vascular
- Texas Health Kaufman
- Texas Health Plano
- Texas Health Specialty Hospital
About Texas Health Resources
Texas Health Resources is a faith-based, nonprofit health system that cares for more patients in North Texas than any other provider. With a service area that consists of 16 counties and more than 7 million people, the system is committed to providing quality, coordinated care through its Texas Health Physicians Group and 27 hospital locations under the banners of Texas Health Presbyterian, Texas Health Arlington Memorial, Texas Health Harris Methodist and Texas Health Huguley. Texas Health access points and services, ranging from acute care hospitals and trauma centers to outpatient facilities and home health and preventive services, provide the full continuum of care for all stages of life. The system has more than 4,000 licensed hospital beds, 6,200 physicians with active staff privileges and more than 23,000 employees. For more information about Texas Health, call 1-877-THR-WELL, or visit www.TexasHealth.org.