ARLINGTON, Texas — Through the challenges of the COVID-19 global pandemic, Texas Health Resources continued to address community health inequities, provide lifesaving vaccines, expand access to safe and reliable care, and accelerate diversity, equality and inclusion. These efforts are outlined in the system’s 2021 Social Purpose Report, released today.
“Throughout the pandemic, we cared for more than a million consumers — and each other — while continuing to transform our organization, strengthen our capabilities and meet the needs of our communities,” said CEO Barclay Berdan, FACHE. “In our 2021 Social Purpose Report, we share our progress toward realizing our Vision of partnering with individuals for a lifetime of health and well-being, and highlight how we managed critical environmental, social and governance issues essential to our people, our communities and our stakeholders.”
Over the last decade, Texas Health — a faith-based, nonprofit health system — has transparently reported investments made to optimize its workforce, operations, care delivery systems and environmental impacts; to provide consumers with personalized, quality and convenient care; and to accelerate health equity and community health improvements. Only a few U.S. health systems provide an annual and comprehensive look at their contributions and impacts.
Readers can access highlights in the 2021 Performance Summary or review the complete online report, which provides greater detail on how the system:
- Cared for the community by offering $927 million in charity care and community benefit programs and services, and awarding $5.2 million in grants to improve health equity, behavioral health and food security.
- Reduced the threat of severe illness or death to employees and consumers exposed to COVID-19 by administering more than 314,000 vaccine doses.
- Improved safety performance and reduced serious harm events by 45% since 2018.
- Launched additional graduate medical education programs to address workforce shortages and increase the number of physicians in North Texas.
- Formalized efforts to enhance cultural awareness and accelerate diversity, equity and inclusion across the system, supply chain and community.
- Reused and recycled materials to reduce landfill waste and environmental impacts.
- Provided additional services and support through hospital expansions and new facilities, home health services, and urgent care and consumer access centers.
- Continued to be recognized nationally for its workplace culture. Texas Health was named Fortune’s Best Company to Work For in Health Care and Biopharma™ for the seventh consecutive year and was seventh on Fortune’s 2021 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
“Texas Health is committed to tackling the most pressing environmental, social and governance challenges our organization and community face,” said David Tesmer, chief community and public policy officer. “We will continue to make responsible investments, establish purposeful and collaborative partnerships and focus on data-driven decisions to improve the health and well-being of the communities we are so privileged to serve.”
About Texas Health Resources
Texas Health Resources is a faith-based, nonprofit health system that cares for more patients in North Texas than any other provider. With a service area that consists of 16 counties and more than 7 million people, the system is committed to providing quality, coordinated care through its Texas Health Physicians Group and 29 hospital locations under the banners of Texas Health Presbyterian, Texas Health Arlington Memorial, Texas Health Harris Methodist and Texas Health Huguley. Texas Health access points and services, ranging from acute-care hospitals and trauma centers to outpatient facilities and home health and preventive services, provide the full continuum of care for all stages of life. The system has more than 4,100 licensed hospital beds, 6,400 physicians with active staff privileges and more than 26,000 employees. For more information about Texas Health, call 1-877-THR-WELL, or visit www.TexasHealth.org.