What is a Patient Advocate?
A patient advocate acts as a liaison or bridge between patients, patient representatives, families, hospital staff and physicians. A patient advocate is a resource to help you facilitate the resolution of issues and concerns for the purpose of maximizing patient satisfaction. The communication between the patient advocate, patient/family and healthcare providers demonstrates the commitment of Texas Health Arlington Memorial to its patients and families in the optimal delivery of healthcare.
A patient advocate is here to help you. At your request, a patient advocate will become involved and:
- Improve communication with caregivers
- Address concerns and complaints
- Advocate for patient rights
- Assist with Advance Directives
- Arrange language services for limited English speakers and the hearing impaired
- Provide emotional support
- Provide an avenue to give compliments to staff members/physicians
- Arrange notary services
- Provide information about hospital policies and procedures
- Answer questions
- Assist if you don't know who else to ask for help
Why is a Patient Advocate Needed?
The healthcare journey can be very stressful, complicated and confusing. There are occasions when you may need someone other than the health care providers caring for the patient to speak for you. You may experience needs or concerns that are difficult to express.
You may fear that you might:
- Lose control of emotions
- Feel intimidated and not say what you intended to
- Be labeled as a complainer and fearful of repercussions
Bringing requests, concerns or complaints to a patient advocate is not viewed as complaining or making waves. It is viewed as appropriately using a resource that is in place to provide:
Contact a patient advocate when you:
- Are experiencing difficulties during your hospital stay or visit
- Have questions or concerns about any aspect of care or service
Contact a Patient Advocate
Confidentiality is highly respected and well maintained. The focus is on the best interest of the patient. You are welcome to contact a patient advocate:
- By telephone: 817-960-5620 (Answered 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday)
- After hours, please call 817-960-6600. Voicemail is provided and all phone calls will be returned within 24 hours.
- In writing, by letter or e-mail
Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital
Attn: Patient Advocate Office
800 West Randol Mill Road
Arlington, TX 76012