In the High School Student Service Learning Program (HSSSL), students will volunteer in both clinical and non-clinical areas of the hospital during the summer. This program gives students the opportunity to preview various healthcare careers as well as exposure to clinical and business operations. Volunteer opportunities are available Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Assignments to a specific unit are not guaranteed. This is a highly competitive program with over 200 applicants. Exceptions will not be made to the application process. Twenty to 25 students will be selected for the summer program.
Please Note: This program is offered only at Texas Health Dallas.
Program Highlights and Requirements
- Must be a current high school student and at least 16 years old on or before June 15 of the participating summer
- Orientation is mandatory for students who are selected and is usually hosted in the beginning of June
- Students are required to volunteer a total of 16 hours per week from June to August
- Must have a Social Security Number — required by the hospital with no exceptions
- Vacations are accepted but you may not be out for more than two consecutive weeks and must be able to commit to a minimum of 128 hours and no more than 4 shifts may be made up
- Please select the Apply Now link below to apply. An essay is required during the time of application
- All applications will be reviewed and interview invitations will be sent out via email no later than February 20 to those who qualify for the interview phase
Each applicant invited to interview will be asked to bring the following:
- Two reference letters (see link below)
- Immunization record
- Driver's license or photo ID
- Other paperwork that we will provide
Each applicant will be photographed for identification and a possible future badge. All selected Student Service Learning volunteers will be required to visit our Employee Health department for a TB screening, urine drug screening and review of immunization records during May. Employee Health is only open on weekdays, so we will provide a school excuse, if needed. Selected students will be notified by April 1 if they have been accepted for the program and will be expected to attend a kick-off meeting later in April.
Follow this link to download the reference letter template. Again, this program is offered only at Texas Health Dallas.
Important THD High School Student Service Learning (HSSSL) Program Update:
Thank you all for your willingness to serve our community at Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, our priority is to ensure the safety and health of our patients, guests, volunteers, physicians, and staff. While the situation is fluid and ever-changing, Texas Health Dallas must continue to postpone all volunteer service programs. THD Volunteer Services staff will continue to provide updates as they become available.
Considering the impact of the COVID-19 on our local area, unfortunately we will not be conducting application cycles at this time. Thank you so much for your interest and we hope you return to apply!
We urge you to keep up-to-date with this weblink and the CDC recommendations as we all play our part to ensure the health and safety of the community.