A guide from our Denton and Prosper, Texas, surgical team
Each year, tens of millions of Americans struggle with medical complications due to unhealthy body weight. If you are dealing with persistent weight troubles you can’t seem to keep under control, surgery may be the next logical step. At Lee Bariatrics, our Denton and Prosper, Texas, surgical team proudly performs a number of weight loss surgical procedures for patients across the region. Led by Dr. Michael Lee, resident surgeon and bariatric surgery expert, we pride ourselves on exceptional results and attentive patient care with all bariatric weight loss surgeries we perform. Committed to staying on the cutting edge of procedural developments and technological advancements in the field, we are pleased to announce that virtually all of the bariatric weight loss surgeries we offer are classified as minimally invasive — which means they are not as harsh on the body, are easier to recover from, and pose less risk overall. Learn more about the minimally invasive bariatric surgeries offered at Lee Bariatrics below, and contact our office at 1-877-421-8183 today.
What is minimally invasive bariatric surgery?
Minimally invasive bariatric surgery is a type of surgery performed on the stomach or intestines to reduce food consumption or speed up digestion to combat weight gain. Unlike traditional bariatric surgery, which is a type of “open” surgery requiring large incisions, minimally invasive bariatric surgery is classified as a laparoscopic surgery. This means that minimally invasive bariatric surgery uses a small fiber optic tube (laparoscope) connected to a video camera and inserted through small incisions to complete procedures. This may lead to a faster recovery time, less scarring, and less shock to the body overall.
Minimally invasive bariatric weight loss surgeries at Lee Bariatrics
At Lee Bariatrics, we are proud to offer a number of bariatric surgical procedures using minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques. Many conditions can be treated through minimally invasive surgery using small incisions and tools. These procedures can decrease the risk of bodily harm in addition to shortening surgery and recovery time and reduce scarring.
The term “minimally invasive surgery” is used to describe surgical procedures that use small incisions instead of larger openings. These incisions are typically only a few millimeters in length and a small camera and light are passed through to view the area of interest. Specialized instruments are then used to perform the procedure. You can find information and links to each of our minimally invasive weight loss surgeries below.
- Sleeve gastrectomy: This surgery is performed by removing approximately 80% of the stomach to reduce food intake. The remaining stomach is a tubular pouch (or “sleeve”) that resembles a banana.
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: This surgery creates a path from the top of the stomach to the end of the small intestine — thus “bypassing” a large portion of both organs and streamlining digestion.
- Adjustable gastric banding: This surgery involves placing an inflatable band around the upper section of the stomach. This has been shown to create a feeling of fullness relatively quickly in most patients.
- Duodenal switch: Duodenal switch surgery removes part of the stomach to create a tube that then bypasses most of the small intestine to connect at its end. As much as 85% of excess weight can be lost through successful duodenal switch surgery.
- Revisional bariatric surgery: Several of the above bariatric surgeries can often be reversed to a great extent using laparoscopic techniques.
More information on the following minimally invasive bariatric weight loss surgeries can be found on our website:
- Paraesophageal hiatal hernia
- Nissen fundoplication
- Linx procedure
- EGD/Upper endoscopy
- TNE/Transnasal endoscopy
- Endoscopic pouch reduction
Dr. Michael Lee is a board-certified surgeon and specialist in minimally invasive bariatric surgery. Our team combined has decades of experience and provides the utmost care and attentiveness during your procedure. We are also committed to providing our patients unparalleled results and unwavering care when it comes to minimally invasive surgery.
Interested in learning more about weight loss surgery and the minimally invasive bariatric procedures offered at Lee Bariatrics? Contact our Denton or Prosper office at 1-877-421-8183.