Coronary artery disease or coronary heart disease is usually
caused by a condition called atherosclerosis , which occurs when
fatty material and a substance called plaque buildup on the walls
of your arteries. This causes them to get narrow. As the coronary
arteries narrow, blood flow to the heart can slow down or stop.
Learn more about Coronary Intervention
Symptoms of coronary artery disease may be very noticeable, but
you can have the disease without suffering from any symptoms.
Chest pain or discomfort (angina ) is the most common symptom of
coronary artery disease. You feel this pain when the heart is not
getting enough blood or oxygen. How bad the pain is varies from
person to person.
- It may feel heavy or like someone is squeezing your heart.
You feel it under your breast bone (sternum), but also in your
neck, arms, stomach, or upper back.
- The pain usually occurs with activity or motion, and goes
away with rest or a medicine called nitroglycerin.
- Other symptoms include shortness of breath and fatigue with
Call your health care provider if your suffer from symptoms of
coronary artery disease.
Follow your doctor's directions closely to help prevent coronary
artery disease from getting worse. Goals for treating these
conditions in those who have coronary artery disease may include:
- LDL cholesterol level less than or equal to 100 mg/dL
- Glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c ) levels less than or equal to
- Blood pressure less than or equal to 120/80 mmHg Procedures
and surgeries often used to treat coronary artery disease
- Angioplasty and stent placement , called percutaneous
coronary interventions (PCIs)
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Minimally invasive heart surgery
Texas Health is committed to providing quality care to heart
and vascular patients throughout North Texas and beyond. While
various technologies and services are discussed here, not all of
our hospitals offer every treatment and diagnostic technology
highlighted. Call 1-877-THR-WELL to learn more about heart and
vascular services at a Texas Health hospital near you.