In this section:
Texas Health is currently focused on providing learning and development programs to:
- Strengthen employees’ skills and capabilities to help them advance on their chosen career paths, and to attract and retain healthcare talent.
- Accelerate the development of students and professionals participating in our pipeline programs for underrepresented community members.
- Build leadership’s capability to drive innovation that improves seamless, efficient, affordable care.
We customize development based on employees' roles, skills and career plans to make learning meaningful and relevant. We map their interests and expertise to internal opportunities and determine whether additional development is needed to work in a different capacity. We then create a customized learning plan to ease the transition.
Additionally, we offer an up-front tuition payment program to eligible full- and part-time employees seeking degrees that benefit the system. Other resources our people can draw from to grow professionally include:
Texas Health Resources University (THRU)
THRU delivers high-quality, targeted educational offerings that align with our core business needs. It provides more than 4,500 online learning opportunities, instructor-led classes and workshops, abundant self-serve resources and tools, and free books and videos on achieving and maintaining work/life balance. Every employee systemwide has access to and is encouraged to use these resources.
We use this online tool to deliver courses that deepen clinical and professional knowledge, sharpen business skills and provide mandatory training.
My Career Journey
This user-driven career portal empowers employees to manage their professional growth. The portal gives employees a clear line of sight to their ongoing competency development. My Career Journey’s feedback, goal-setting and career-planning features engage the leader and employee in career conversations and provide them with the resources they will need to gain proficiency in crucial capabilities and behaviors to meet healthcare’s changing demands.
We center leadership on key behaviors that we hardwire into our culture, such as accountability, visionary thinking and sound decision-making. We provide various opportunities, programs and tools to maximize leadership potential, build our leadership pipeline and help us achieve our business goals. Some of these include:
- An orientation to help new leaders understand their role in supporting our culture and developing and inspiring staff. This entails communicating effectively about our strategy and operations.
- A program to help newly hired and recently promoted managers and executives assimilate into our culture and their roles. We tailor development plans to specific roles and responsibilities.
- Trained our leaders how to introduce and execute innovative strategies and programs.
- Equipped nearly 2,000 interested employees with skills to help them transition to new roles. This helped close vacancy gaps in critical positions.
- Supported the continuing education of physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals with nearly 1,000 events and over 20,000 claiming CME and CNE credit.
- Provided a safe virtual orientation for nearly 6,000 new acute care employees. The orientation will be delivered in person in 2023.
Snapshot: Fast-Track Development Programs Launched to Fill Key Roles
Texas Health and Texas Health Physicians Group (THPG) unveiled accelerated development programs to fill workforce shortage gaps. They are intended to foster a stronger pipeline of diverse, qualified candidates, improve competency development, expedite job readiness and increase retention of new hires. These included: