To provide medical recuperation services to adults experiencing homelessness in a safe environment using individualized holistic medical, behavioral health and wraparound social services that address the underlying causes of homelessness through strategic partnerships.
What We Do
Medical respite offers clinical oversight and a safe place for recuperation to adults experiencing homelessness who, upon discharge from a hospital setting, are at higher risk of poor recovery and health outcomes due to living on the streets.
Services are offered inside Austin Street Center, a homeless shelter, in Dallas. Medical respite provides medical support with physician and nurse oversight to eligible individuals for an average of 4 to 6 weeks depending on the complexity of the individual's needs.
The ultimate goal of the medical respite program is to find housing solutions for adults experiencing homelessness with complex medical and behavioral health needs. To that end, participants receive intensive case management provided to include assistance with ID restoration, income planning and access to other necessary clinical and social services. Through the connection of continued medical and behavioral health resources the program then transitions individuals to appropriate housing.
Individuals accepted to the program must meet the following criteria:
- Male over the age of 18 and homeless or imminently homeless
- Is psychiatrically stable (Not a harm to self or others and does not require restraint)
- Does not require dementia care
- Is independent with activities of daily living
- Is clear of infectious diseases such as COVID-19 and TB
- Does not require medical management from alcohol, benzodiazepine, or opiate withdrawal
- Is willing to enroll in program, follow facility rules and participate in his own care
Eligible individuals must be referred to the respite nurse manager Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The referral will be reviewed by program staff and acceptance or denial will be provided within 24 hours of receipt, Monday through Thursday, and will be given on the next business day after weekend or holiday.
Austin Street Center
1717 Jeffries Street
Dallas, TX 75226
For more information, please call 972-807-0023 or email RyanHaley@TexasHealth.org.